Review: Cancer, Faith and Unexpected Joy



        `Cancer, Faith, and Unexpected Joy is a spiritual growth book on death, grief, and bereavement by author Becky Baudouin.

        Somehow people tend to think is we can understand how to live we will live forever, without going through a death process. Unfortunately, not many people have whisked away and by-passed death, or the act of dying altogether.

        In this book, Becky is invited to walk alongside her mom as she goes through the process of inoperable cancer and dying. The reader walks beside Becky as she writes. Becky teaches us about living and dying as she sees it in her mom. I think the author was motivated to write about this because it's what her mom taught her.

        The chapters are short and each one begins with either a piece of scripture or a quote from a well-known person. There are also personal reflection questions at the back of the book for each chapter. You read the chapter, then answer the corresponding questions. This is for individual or group settings.

        I like the quote from page 86: "A friend is someone who knows the song in your heart and can sing it back to you when your pain has caused you to forget it (Cherelea A Purcell)."

        The subdued blue cover works well with this book. I will most remember this book as walking beside the author as she walked beside her ailing mother.

Disclaimer: "I was provided a free copy of this book. All opinions are my own."

  I'm linking up to Literacy Musing Mondays and The Book Nook.

Comments

Sandee said…
Death is a part of living. I think I would enjoy this book very much, but I've lost so many loved ones. It would probably take me back to some painful times. It would be worth the travel to remember those so precious.

Have a blessed day, Michelle. ☺
Marilyn said…
Michelle,

I am so thankful that you were allowed the opportunity to review this book. I know it will be a book that will be appropriate for many I know who have walked this journey.

Having lost my son to duchenne muscular dystrophy, a devastating terminal diesease, this book will bring me extra comfort in my journey.

I love and appreciate you.
Marilyn Saxon






Having walked through the cancer journey with several members of my family I am sure I will be able to relate to much of the author's experiences. I will have to add this one to my list. Thank you for sharing.
Tami Q said…
I am adding this book to my wishlist. It is a very necessary topic, I'm afraid, with all the loved ones who have ended up with cancer.

Thanks for sharing via Literacy Musing Mondays. I am looking forward to reading what you share this week. The link is currently live. Come join us!

Popular posts from this blog

Q & A with author MaryLu Tyndall

Q & A with author Julianne MacLean

Q & A with author Debbie Lynne Costello