Q & A with author Kathy Rouser


                             It is my pleasure to have author Kathleen Rouser visit my blog today.
                           

        Kathleen Rouser has loved making up stories since she was a little girl. She is a long-time member in good standing of ACFW and a former board member of its Great Lakes Chapter. She contributes regularly to Novel PASTimes, a blog devoted to promoting mainly Christian historical fiction and to the Heroes, Heroines, and History blog. Kathleen has also been published in Homeschool Digest, An Encouraging Word, and Happy Sis magazines.

(1) How do you hope your readers react to the stories you write?

My prayer is that my stories will touch their hearts, that they can identify
with characters who find they need Jesus to help them through their struggles
and be encouraged to go to Him. 

(2) Just for fun, what's the longest you can stand on your toes?

Probably not for very long, especially if I'm not holding on to something for
balance, but that's not something I've ever measured.  

(3) What book made you want to be an author?

To start with, probably just stories in general. I used to love it when my mom
would read to me. First I wanted to be able to draw and illustrate books along with writing the stories, like Tasha Tudor. I remember having a beautiful volume of fairy tales by her. Later I remember reading Little Women and identifying with Jo March, as I'm sure many aspiring young writers have. That spoke to my desire to be an author. 

(4) If you could write in a different genre, which would you choose?

I've dabbled in Biblical, speculative, and contemporary romance. I don't think
any of those are completely off the table, but there are too many story ideas
and too little time! 

(5) Do you like sound or silence when you write?

It depends. Sometimes I like noise in the background and other times,
when I have trouble concentrating, I prefer quiet. 

(6) How far will you read before giving up on a book?

It really depends on the book. At least halfway, unless I really do
not like the book from the beginning. Sometimes I will just cheat and
go to the end and see if it's worth reading the whole thing! It will depend
if I want to see how they got there. 

(7) Just for fun, what are you listening to?

WJR radio in Detroit. The Guy Gordon show is with a local talk-show host. 

(8) Where do you live? Mountain or valley?

Since my town is in an area referred to as the Kensington Valley in Michigan and we're definitely not on a mountain, I would have to say valley.  

(9) What prompted you to begin writing?

My love of story since I was a child. I believe the Lord called me to write from a young age
since I wanted to do that before I could even read!  

(10) Are there any people in your life who have inspired certain traits in your character(s) or scenes?

I guess you could say there are bits and pieces of people and places that have
inspired my characters and stories, but I try to keep my main characters very
fictional.

Mary Heartwell, the nurse who superintends the Crittenton Mission in Detroit,
in Rumors and Promises was an actual historical person. However, I could find very little about her, so my portrayal is largely fictional. Also, I found a book in which Dr. Kate Waller Barrett wrote of her general plans for each Crittenton Mission home for unwed mothers. I used this to help form a description of the home in Detroit though it is long gone.  


Kathy, Thank you for taking time out of your busy schedule to answer these questions. I have enjoyed getting to know you better as I am sure my readers will too. I would answer question #5 just as you did. Also when I am reading I like listening to different styles of music. It depends on my mood.

Readers, be sure to check out Kathy's website (http://kathleenrouser.com/) for more news about her books. You may also follow her on her Facebook author page at https://www.facebook.com/kathleenerouser and on her Twitter page at https://twitter.com/KathleenRouser



       

Comments

Sandee said…
I would have the same answer for #5 too, but when I was working there wasn't quiet very often. I learned to write with all the noise.

Great interview.

Have a blessed day and weekend. ☺
Kathleen Rouser said…
Thanks, Sandee. When my kids were growing up I did have to learn to write with noise for sure and
have done so at coffee places, so i can relate. We can't always have quiet when we'd like. Thanks
for stopping by and leaving a comment.
Michelle F said…
Sandee, Thanks for visiting and leaving a comment.
Michelle F said…
Kathy, It has been a pleasure working with you.

Popular posts from this blog

Q & A with author MaryLu Tyndall

Q & A with author Julianne MacLean

Q & A with author Debbie Lynne Costello