Review: Peaceful Neighbor




      `Peaceful Neighbor` written by Michael G. Long is a biography about Mr. Fred Rogers who was the long time t.v. host of Mr. Rogers Neighborhood.  I wanted to review this book to learn more about Mr. Rogers because I watched his show faithfully for several years.
      Fred Rogers was a dedicated pacifist (pg. xii). He was also an ordained Presbyterian minister. I learned that the sweaters he wore were made by his mother (pg. xii) Fred died of Stomach cancer in 2003 and is still sought out today via the internet.
      I was surprised at the amount of effort he put into helping children walk through the pain of war and terrorism. Known as a Christian peacemaker he sought out to exemplify Christ Jesus in his persona. Because of his stand on war and peace I wonder what Mr. Rogers would say in this day of ISIS and terrorism. Mr. Rogers believed peace is possible. I disagree with Mr. Rogers belief that there is never a time for war. I do believe we should pray for our enemies but sometimes war is necessary for the good to take control from the bad. Mr. Rogers believed all people are especially good.
      Rogers believed God evolves, learns, grows, and knows. Contrary to Christian fundamentalism. (pg. 28). He did not believe God to be the same yesterday, today and forever. I think to believe what Rogers believed would be scary. That way could lead one to wonder if God forgives us, or not. Maybe today, but not tomorrow? However, Rogers believed God forgives everyone and everything (pg. 31). Officially he was a Presbyterian. Unofficially, he was a Quaker.(pg. 33). Mr. Rogers used his t.v. show to help children work through some of the toughest issues in life (ex. racial issues, war, hunger, living simply and opposing consumerism).

Question: Do you think all people are basically good, and we should avoid war at all costs?





Disclaimer: I received a complimentary copy of this e-book through Net Galley for my honest review.

Comments

Sandee said…
I learned a lot about Mr. Rogers that I didn't know. Thank you for that.

Have a fabulous day. ☺
Bluerose said…
I've always loved Mr. Rogers and have tried to pass that love onto my boys, too. I didn't realize he believed what he did, though, and find that hugely disappointing.

Great review! (You taught me much more about Mr. Rogers than I already knew.) :)

Popular posts from this blog

Interview Questions for Lauren Carr’s Candidate for Murder.

Q & A with author MaryLu Tyndall

Q & A with author Julianne MacLean