Review: The Red Feather



        `The Red Feather` is the first novel in the Beneath the Blackberry Moon series. It is a historical fiction novel about the Creek Indians by author April W. Gardner. The setting is the Mississippi Territory- 1813.

        This novel is rather long - 409 pages, and to admit it there were a few times I was ready to throw in the towel and forget it. But, just as I was about to chunk the novel, an interesting part of the story kept me going.

        Because the novel has a glossary, discussion questions, maps, a list of the Cast of Characters, a list of historical figures along with their bio's, and a Creek war timeline, this series would be an excellent choice for a book club.

        The author is good at creating a world the reader can associate with, one that the reader can believe in. Some of the words dispersed within the novel is the language of the Creek Indians, so some skipping over words is bound to happen. However, it doesn't take over the storyline.

        If you are looking for an action-packed read this summer, this is the series you want.

Disclaimer: I would like to thank the author for sending me this novel to review. All opinions expressed here are my own.


Author Bio:

APRIL W GARDNER writes history with a Christian perspective and a little imagination. 

She is a copyeditor, military wife, and homeschooling mother of two who lives in Texas. She writes Christian historical romance with a focus on our Southeastern Native tribes. In no particular order, April dreams of owning a horse, learning a third language, and visiting all the national parks.

Comments

Sandee said…
Okay if you were ready to put this book down more than once then wouldn't get very far. I call these kind of books pedestrian. So much detail you lose me. That's my guess anyway.

Have a fabulous day, Michelle. ☺
Michelle F said…
Sandee,

It is a good story, but I think it could have been shortened.

Have a great weekend :)
April Gardner said…
Thanks for the review, Michelle! I definitely write for readers who "love sagas that are deep and bold and aren't afraid to take their time unfolding." Someone looking for a quick, light read will be disappointed in The Red Feather.
I'm glad you felt my Creek country world is believable!
Michelle F said…
April,

I do realize this is only book one in the series and I understand book two will be more involved. I look forward to reading the rest of the series. Thank you for taking a chance on my reviewing your books.
April Gardner said…
Michelle, there's always a risk in book reviews, right? :-) I'm grateful for you telling others about my books!
Michelle F said…
April,

Yes,there is a great risk in doing a review.
I try to stay positive while giving my opinion.

Have a great week 🐱

Popular posts from this blog

Interview Questions for Lauren Carr’s Candidate for Murder.

Q & A with author Julianne MacLean

Q & A with author MaryLu Tyndall