Review: As Southern As It Gets


Book Description

Life Is Sweet in the South
Full of small towns and sparkling cities, this welcoming area invites all who visit to put your feet up, have a glass of ice tea in a mason jar and reminisce on some of the most wonderful things in the South. Written by true Southern gentleman H. Jackson Brown Jr., As Southern As It Gets is a charming book of lists—a celebration of all things Southern that will charm and delight anyone who was raised south of the Mason-Dixon or who wish they lived there.
Recall the tastes, sounds, and beauty of Southern treasures such as:
Juicy Georgia peaches in July
Glorious changing leaves on the Natchez Trace
A steaming cup of gumbo from New Orleans
The smooth, soulful voice of Patsy Cline
From Music Row in Nashville to Daytona Beach in Florida, and Charleston to New Orleans, As Southern As It Gets will remind you of why we Southerners so love our home.
My Thoughts:
   

       `As Southern As It Gets` is an inspirational book by author H. Jackson Brown, JR. I love the blue and white checkered cover. It reminds me of southern hospitality. I was born and raised in the south. I have always lived in the south, never been north that I know of. As far as I can tell this 223-page hardback book is fact, not fiction.

        The book begins with 20 of the author's favorite things. But, its basic structure is a list from A-Z of all things southern. In the introduction, Jackson claims he once challenged a tenured professor from one of the Ivy League schools to compile a list of "1071 Reasons to Never Leave the North". The professor couldn't do it.

        The author considers himself a reliable source for this book because he was born and raised in the south, too. He is acquainted with country ham, smokehouses, mules, canning, church activities, deviled eggs, and one-stoplight towns. He claims the south is magical and mysterious.

        This book took me back to my childhood with all you can eat fried catfish and hushpuppy nights, bait shops, B.B. King, candied yams, and so much more. The book also contains quotes and illustrations. I recommend this book to fans of the south.

I'm linking up to The Book Nook
Disclaimer: "I was provided a free copy of this book. All opinions are my own."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interview Questions for Lauren Carr’s Candidate for Murder.

Q & A with author MaryLu Tyndall

Q & A with author Julianne MacLean