Q & A with author April W. Gardner


                     Please welcome author April W. Gardner to New Horizon Reviews.

Bio: APRIL W GARDNER writes history with a Christian perspective and a little imagination. She is a copyeditor, military wife, and homeschooling mother of two who lives in Texas. She writes Christian historical romance with a focus on our Southeastern Native Tribes. In no particular order, April dreams of owning a horse, learning a third language, and visiting all the national parks. April loves to hear from her readers at: aprilgardnerwrites@gmail.com and www.aprilgardner.com

April, thank you for taking time out of your very busy schedule to visit New Horizon Reviews.

Michelle: What is the main theme of your book `The Red Feather`?

April: The main theme in The Red Feather is how to endure trials. In captivity, Adela not only perseveres in her faith, she grows in it. She senses God’s continued presence, clings to his promises, and trusts His plan is best. The theme verses are 2 Corinthians 4:8-9:  We are troubled on every side, yet not distressed; we are perplexed, but not in despair, Persecuted, but not forsaken; cast down, but not destroyed; For all things are for your sakes, that the abundant grace might through the thanksgiving of many redound to the glory of God.

Michelle: Do you like sound or silence when you write?

April: Silence is such a beautiful thing! But I focus best with soft, no-lyric music.

Michelle: Just for fun, what is your favorite jewelry piece, and why?

April:  I’m not big into jewelry, but the few I have are special. When this book was first published (first edition back in 2009), my mother-in-love rounded up the family and created a silver charm bracelet for me. Each branch of the family contributed a charm that symbolizes some aspect of my love of writing. To name a few: a tiny laptop, a book, a feather, a buffalo/Indian head nickel. I wear it when I’m in deep creative mode because it keeps my mind in Creek country and because it reminds me of my family’s support.

Michelle: What is the main message of your book, `The Sacred Writings`?

April: The Sacred Writings is Totka’s journey to Christ. Totka is the male lead from book one who, by the end, has yet to embrace Christ. In book two, we veer somewhat away from Adela, take a step back in time, and learn how God’s hand was on Totka life from his childhood, guiding him and coaxing into a relationship with Christ.

Michelle: What are some things you pray before you write?

April: I thank God for where I’m at in my writing career and for what I’m learning. Inspiration is, of course, one of my topics requests but also guidance. My books tend to be pretty deep and, sometimes, I feel WAY in over my head. 😊


Michelle: What are you reading now, or what is on your nightstand?

April: Research books. Haha! Always research books. For pleasure, I just finished Jessica Patch’s Deep Waters. A fun summer read!

Michelle: What inspired your series `Beneath the Blackberry Moon`?

April: I grew up being told that Chief Red Eagle (William Weatherford) was a great-great of mine. We’ve recently learned that our connection to his line goes back to Scotland (before contact with the Creek Indians) and then splits once they reached America. Red Eagle is actually the brother of my direct ancestor. His story was so thrilling to me that I decided it needed to be told. As I researched him, I learned of the Fort Mims Massacre and the McGirth’s extraordinary survival. Fascinated, I wrote their story instead.

Michelle: Just for fun, what's the longest you can stand on your toes?

April: Not very! No ballerina am I. 😉

Michelle: What book made you want to be an author?

April: Probably Brock and Bodie Thoene’s Zion Covenant/Chronicles series. The history in them gripped me as a teenager and inspired my writing in the early years.

Michelle: Are there any people in your life who have inspired certain traits in your character(s) or scenes?

April: Dangerous question! Haha! The safest answer is that I named the McGirth baby after my brother Charles. One day, I hope to write Charlie McGirth’s story (set during Creek Trail of Tears).

April, I love your answers, hard to pick a favorite one. However, I think the one about the jewelry piece is very special. Thank you, once again, for taking the time to stop by New Horizon Reviews.

I'm linking this post to Literacy Musing Monday's

Comments

Sandee said…
I love her answers too. She sounds like my kind of gal.

Have a fabulous day and week, Michelle. ☺
April Gardner said…
Thanks so much for having me, Michelle! It was fun. :-)
Michelle F said…
April, yes it was fun getting to know a bit more about you & your books.
Thank you for stopping by :)

Popular posts from this blog

Q & A with author MaryLu Tyndall

Q & A with author Julianne MacLean

Q & A with author Debbie Lynne Costello