Q & A with author Kate Breslin


It is my pleasure to have author Kate Breslin visit my blog today.

A Florida girl who migrated to the Pacific Northwest, Kate Breslin was a bookseller for many years. She is the author of For Such a Time and lives with her husband in Seattle, Washington. Find her online at www.katebreslin.com.  (Bethany House)


If you have visited my blog for any length of time you may have seen my book review on Kate's book `Not By Sight` If you haven't seen it you may visit the post by clicking here. 

Delightful Interview

(1) What inspired you to become an author? I suppose I’ve always written—poetry and short stories growing up and later, song lyrics to accompany my music. It wasn’t until I reached my thirties that I decided to tackle novel writing after I’d exhausted my supply of favorite historical novels. It was a twenty-year journey, not only in honing my craft but growing in my faith, before I finally reached publication with my 2014 debut novel, For Such A Time.

(2) Which book cover is your favorite? Why? Actually, Michelle, I confess to loving them all. :-) I still pinch myself, blessed at having such a talented art department at Bethany House! With my first novel, For Such A Time, it’s the sepia glimpse of the Holocaust, beneath a photo of a woman who clearly looks like she’s hiding something (she is!) and for Not By Sight, the color of my heroine’s gown makes me want to makeover my entire wardrobe in teal green! With my upcoming release, High As The Heavens, the striking woman on the front cover seems the very essence of my heroine, and I love the colors of the sky and the way the string of pearls completes the scene. Sorry to gush, but seeing someone else’s visual interpretation of my story is one of my favorite parts of the publishing process! 

(3) What was the last book you read just to relax? I’ve just started reading author Carrie Turansky’s “The Daughter of Highland Hall,” the second novel in her Edwardian Brides series. I really enjoyed her first and third novels in the series (I know, I’m out of order!) and this one will be a delight as well.

(4) Favorite Quote (from one of your books or from another author): “A handful of prisoners had ventured out into the cold dawn. They wore dirty, threadbare clothes, and flocked and disbanded in the square like fractious birds.” –For Such A Time

(5) What are two things you love most about your protagonist(s) in your latest book? I love that Grace Mabry is a woman of conviction; whether she’s misguided or not, she’s not afraid to stand up for what she believes in. And Clare Danner might be testy at times, but once you’ve won her over, she’ll be your friend for life.

(6) What was one of the most memorable tangents one of your characters took you on? No specific incident comes to mind, though (this will make me sound crazy) I have had scenes where the characters just don’t want to be there. When that happens, I stop and ask them questions about what’s going on in the story from their viewpoint. Once I figure out where they’re coming from, it “frees things up” and I may flip the scene or turn it on its head. Either way, things eventually come together and we all happily move on!

(7) Just for fun, what are you watching? During the holidays, I stay completely immersed in watching Hallmark Christmas movies!

(8) What inspired your book, `Not By Sight`? Oh, I’m such a big fan of Masterpiece Theater’s, “Downton Abbey,” so it’s no surprise the idea for my novel originated from a scene in the series. During the second season, when Lord Crawley’s family held a wounded soldiers’ benefit in their home, two suffragists crashed the gathering and handed out white feathers of cowardice to any young man not in uniform. What made the biggest impression on me was that the act shamed Lord Crawley’s young footman, William Mason, into going off to enlist in the war—leading to a consequence that would forever change his life.

(9) What are the challenges/benefits of writing historical fiction? Great question! The benefits are of course, that I love history and unearthing those little-known facts I can drop into my novels. Often, I get carried away with my research and need to put myself on a timer so I can get back to the business of writing the story! :-) The biggest challenge for me is to make certain to be as accurate as possible with setting, events, and culture—within my publishing timeframe, and still write in a style that flows easily for the modern-day reader. I think perhaps due to the global availability of information we have today, readers expect more authenticity in their historical novels, as well as being entertainment.

(10) What is your comfort story when you need a break from life? Any of author Julie Garwood’s historical romance novels. She writes for the general market, but I love the world she creates with her words, and she knows how to make me laugh. :-)

Thank you so much, Kate, for taking the time to answer interview questions. I love how thorough you were. I also love Downton Abbey. However, since we don't have t.v. I watch older seasons on my Kindle.

Dear readers, Kate has a third book coming out very soon. Please be on the lookout for:




Thanks again Kate and Merry Christmas.


Popular posts from this blog

Q & A with author MaryLu Tyndall

Q & A with author Julianne MacLean

Q & A with author Debbie Lynne Costello