Review & Author Interview: Bossy Flossy



   Meet the Author:

Paulette Bogan admits she was bossy as a child. She is the author and illustrator ofVirgil & Owen, which was chosen as one of Bank Street Best Children's books of the Year 2016, Virgil & Owen Stick Together, which won a Mom's Choice Award Gold Medal for Picture Books, and Lulu The Big Little Chick, which won a Children's Choice Book Award. She lives in New York City with her husband, three daughters, and two dogs. They ALL think she is STILL bossy. But they've never told her to go to her room!

Connect with the author: Website  ~  Twitter  ~  Facebook 


   Hi Paulette Bogan and welcome to New Horizon Reviews. Thank you for taking time out of your busy schedule to stop by for a visit. I really enjoyed reading your book `Bossy Flossy`.


Author Interview: Paulette Bogan

How long have you been writing?
(1) I didn’t start writing professionally till I was in my thirties. I went to Parsons School of Design. My mother always told me I should write and illustrate children’s books. Of course I didn’t listen! I did political illustration, and editorial illustration. I loved it, and I’m glad I did it. 

I finally listened to my mother when I was pregnant with my first child. I decided to take a break and research children’s books. After a lot of hard work, and rejections, Nancy Paulsen at Putnam Children’s Books published my first book, Spike, in 1998! I’ve never looked back. Moms are always right.

          
(2) What advice would you give budding authors?
Read, read, read. 
Read everything you can get your hands on. Read books in the genre you want to write. I have shelves and shelves of picture books. Read lots of books that are not in your genre. I love mysteries and detective stories.

Carry a journal or sketchbook, or post-its! Jot down all your ideas. Even if you think it’s a stinky idea you never know what it will inspire.

 Try to write everyday even if it is just a sentence or two.

Read more.

(3) Do you have a favorite book or books?
Books - plural of course!
Two favorite books of all times are The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck and Becoming Naomi León by Pam Muñoz Ryan. I am rereading another favorite right now, A Prayer For Owen Meany by John  Irving. I love Piggie Pie! by Margie Palatini, illustrated by Howard Fine, Guess How Much I Love You by  Sam McBratney, illustrated by Anita Jeram, The Elf of Union Square by Jan Carr, and My Aunt Came Back by Pat Cummings. I could keep going…

                              
(4) How do you discover new books to read?
Besides bookstores, reviews, and online venues, my most valuable source for a good book is friends. Sara Nelson is my book Guru. Josephine Richards, and Lauren Turner are two “Good Book Goddesses”. 

And for children, librarians are amazing. Eden Eisman, the librarian at the elementary school my daughters used to attend, is like Professor McGonagall with the sorting hat. She has a way of seeing into each child and intuiting what books they would like to read. She knows reading is important – reading anything! Some children would leave the library with a two-foot stack of books, others with a graphic novel tucked under their arm. She is a book wizard.

                                         
(5) Tell us an interesting fact about Bossy Flossy.
When I first wrote Bossy Flossy, Flossy met another bossy girl. My editor, Sally Doherty suggested I have her meet a bossy boy instead. I thought, Huh, that was closed-minded of me! After all, I grew up with a bossy little brother! And bossiness comes in lots of shapes and sizes. Sally was right. Now the book is about being bossy whether you are a girl or a boy. 

              
To find out more about Paulette Bogan, download cool activities and to check out new books go to www.paulettebogan.com



        `Bossy Flossy` is a girls friendship and manners book, written and illustrated by Paulette Bogan. I felt this would be a funny, but informative book for girls ages 8-10. The text is organized into short sentences. Maybe one or two sentences per page. This organization is sufficient and wonderful for beginning readers, even younger than eight. Plus, it could always be read to the child by a parent or caretaker.

        From the front of the book we see Flossy being bossy to her stuffed animals, and so on into the story. Will Bossy Flossy ever learn not to be bossy?

        The primary medium used in this book is colorful illustrations. The reader sees Flossy on almost every page. She is the star of the book. As the stories main character she is bossy throughout the book, so she is easy to spot. Her main problem is being bossy, until she meets Edward.

 Disclaimer:  I received this book free from iRead Book Tours, for my honest review.

Popular posts from this blog

Q & A with author MaryLu Tyndall

Q & A with author Julianne MacLean

Q & A with author Debbie Lynne Costello