Review: Mars...with Venus Rising



Book Blip: A meddling horse, paper bag floors and a flying saucer on the town square. The little town of Mars has it all—including a brand new resident who might spell heartache for one of its own.


      `Mars...with Venus Rising` is a Christian Romance novel written by author Hope Toler Dougherty. From the cover to the description it sounds like a funny novel with a meddling horse and two busy-body aunt's. The intended audience is probably a woman in her early twenties, but I believe any age woman would enjoy this light read. 
      The author has dedicated this novel to her parents and Bobbie & Auline Toler, who always believed. She gives God credit for giving her the desire of her heart. Hope is a new-to-me author and I hope to read more of her works.
      Penn Davenport is the light-hearted female protagonist and Peri is her sociable, lovable horse who loves to visit the neighbors. The tall, dark, and handsome male protagonist is John. All the characters work well together. The two quirky aunts are trying to get Penn a husband. Penn's parents died in a plane crash. Can Penn overcome her fear of flying and allow herself to date a pilot? 
      I recommend this novel to any woman looking for a light-hearted book to read. The recipes mentioned in the novel are posted at the back of the book.
Author Bio:
Hope Toler Dougherty holds a Master's degree in English and taught at East Carolina University as well as York Technical College. A member of ACFW, RWA and SinC, she writes for Almost an Author. Before writing novels, she published non-fiction articles on topics ranging from gardening with children to writing apprehension. She cheers for the Pittsburgh Steelers, ACC basketball, and Army West Point Football. Hope and her husband, Kevin, live in North Carolina and chat with their two daughters and twin sons through ooVoo.


Disclaimer: I received this book from Litfuse Publishers for my honest opinion.

Litfuse Publicity character interview:
dougherty-quote3

Character Interview with Penn Davenport

What is the most interesting thing about you?
I drive a blue 1977 Volkswagen and know how to change the oil because my aunts taught me.
Occupation:
I teach math at Mars High School, and I’m studying to pass the CPA exam.
What three words would you use to describe yourself?
Hard-working, loyal, realist.
What do you do for fun?
Ride my horse, Peri.
Share a favorite childhood memory:
My mother sliced grapes and dug seeds out for me while we sat on our front porch swing.
What is your life motto or goal?
I don’t really have one, but John Townsend’s definitely is, “When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.”
If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be?
I’d like to be as courageous as John thinks I am.
Favorite food:
Ice cream—pretty much any kind.
What is the most important thing to you?
My aunts’ happiness.
Biggest pet peeve:

People who don’t use turn signals.

Comments

Sandee said…
Sounds like a great read, and what a wonderful author.

Have a fabulous day. ☺

Popular posts from this blog

Interview Questions for Lauren Carr’s Candidate for Murder.

The Aetherlight™

Review: A Royal Christmas Wedding