Review: The Golden Braid

      'The Golden Braid' (Melanie Dickerson) is a retelling of 'Rapunzel'. The year is 1413, in the village of Ottelfelt, southwest of Hagenheim, the Holy Roman Empire. The novel opens with Wendell Gotekens telling Rapunzel of his wish to marry her; which Rapunzel quickly said, 'No'. Her mother had told her no man is worthy of her. Even though this is a modern retake on Rapunzel, I did not like the sexual innuendos in this version.
       My favorite character is Knight Sir Gerek. He is more than willing to save Rapunzel, the peasant and her mother, from disaster.  In ' The Golden Braid' there is sexual innuendos, as I mentioned, as well as some frightening parts with some violence. So, I would not recommend this novel to a soft-hearted reader. I did like how Sir Gerek prayed to God to forgive him of wanting riches and status more than giving love to a woman.(page 239)
          This novel ends much different than the reader might expect and I think it is worth the reading. I do recommend this book to readers who like fiction with mild violence.


Disclaimer: "I was provided a free copy of this book. All opinions are my own."

Posted on `The Cozy Reading Spot`  and The Book Nook


Popular posts from this blog

Q & A with author MaryLu Tyndall

Q & A with author Julianne MacLean

Q & A with author Debbie Lynne Costello