Q & A with Sarah Sundin



Sarah Sundin is the author of With Every Letter, On Distant Shores, In Perfect Time, and the Wings of Glory series. In 2014, On Distant Shores was a finalist for the Golden Scroll Awards from both AWSA and the Christian Authors Network. In 2011, Sarah received the Writer of the Year Award at the Mount Hermon Christian Writers Conference. A graduate of UC San Francisco School of Pharmacy, she works on call as a hospital pharmacist. During WWII, her grandfather served as a pharmacist's mate (medic) in the Navy and her great-uncle flew with the US Eighth Air Force in England. Sarah lives in California with her husband and three children.

What made you decide to start writing WWII fiction?
The era has always fascinated me. Ordinary people were thrust into situations they never could have imagined---challenges and dangers and horrors---and they learned they could do extraordinary things. World War II showed the very worst and the very best of humanity, which serves both as warning and inspiration.
Which character from your novels do you relate most to?
I relate a lot to Mary Stirling in Through Waters Deep. We're both quiet, analytical, and detail-oriented, but also sensitive and dreamy. We differ in many ways though. I don't share her paralyzing fear of attention (although it makes me slightly uneasy), and I don't share her eagerness to solve a mystery.
What has surprised you most about being a writer?
I never imagined how many amazing people I'd meet! At writers' conferences, I've met some of the brightest and most creative people. And my books have introduced me to readers from all over the world, fascinating people with intriguing stories. I've had email conversations with women in Portugal and South Africa and England. It's so much fun!
What does your research process look like? Does it get tiring to you?
I love research. When I'm fleshing out a series idea, I do a lot of baseline research to make sure my stories work, and to gain more ideas. I make a list of promising books and websites and start to work through them, carefully documenting so I can quickly find the information later. The process continues throughout the outlining, rough draft, and editing. I always have a research book in progress and routinely scour good websites. I also do a lot of "spot" research, where I look up a smaller detail that is necessary for the scene. The only time research tires me is when I'm getting close to deadline and I just want to finish the story, not check the ferry routes across Boston Harbor in 1941.

Order your copy of Sarah's new book, Through Waters Deep, here.

The Sarah Sundin Q & A appeared first on Litfuse Publicity Blogger e-mail (August Nest News).

Comments

Sandee said…
What a great interview. Sounds like a great read too.

Have a fabulous day Michelle. ☺
bj said…
Such a great interview and post.
And, regarding those potatoes over at my house...BE AFRAID...BE VERY AFRAID...:)

Popular posts from this blog

Interview Questions for Lauren Carr’s Candidate for Murder.

The Aetherlight™

Review: A Royal Christmas Wedding