Review: Like A Flower in Bloom



                        Like A Flower in Bloom is a somewhat humorous novel about a female botanist and painter in the Victorian Era. Women were undoubtedly seen as only fit for marrying and child-bearing. I did enjoy this book, but it took me over a week to read it.
                        Charlotte Withersby had her sight set on helping her botanist father after the passing of her mother. Her uncle, the Admiral, had other plans for her.
                        I had to laugh when the character Mr. Edward Trimble appeared in the novel. He seemed distinguished yet a bit arrogant. It was interesting to read along as Charlotte was being taught the acceptable way.
                        My favorite quote from the novel is, "I had to believe that even the meanest of creations served God's purposes. And yet anyone could see there was a great difference between a thorn and a flower and no hope at all of one becoming the other." (pg. 98) It was also fun to learn new words like pedantic and ranunculus.
                         I think readers as young as early teens would enjoy this novel, but may be enjoyed by older age groups as well.

Disclaimer: "I was provided a free copy of this book. All opinions are my own."

Popular posts from this blog

Interview Questions for Lauren Carr’s Candidate for Murder.

Q & A with author Julianne MacLean

Q & A with author MaryLu Tyndall