Hodgepodge Wednesday ~ Whatever Happened To (?)



It's Time for Wednesday Hodgepodge. We had a week off, last week, to celebrate.
Our dear host, Joyce, was the Mother of the Bride. Congratulations!!
So we begin fresh, and new, this week with some great questions.
This is where Joyce asks the questions, bloggers answer the questions.
If you would like to participate please click the button. Thanks!

(1) What's your best piece of advice for a newly married couple? I'm asking for a friend.

A- Never go to bed mad. Pray together, daily.

(2) Before we're too far into the new year I wanted to post a question Teresa submitted during the December giveaway. Teresa blogs over at Being Refined as Silver, so everyone go say hi.

Teresa asks, "What were you doing on December 31, 1999?" and "Did you or your family make preparations for Y2K?"

A- I was on the computer, as usual, bringing in the new year. I wasn't concerned about Y2K, so we did not prepare for it. I have a lot of friends who did, tho. Some going as far as stock-piling food(s) that would last them years.

(3) According to Global Language Monitor, the most used word of 2014 isn't a word. It's the heart emoji. Huh? How can something that's not a word be the most used word, I digress. What do you think was your most used word in 2014?

A- Can I say 2 words? `Oh, My!`

(4) Speaking of words, it's that time again. Time for Lake Superior University to present a list of words they'd like to see banished (for over-use, mis-use, and general uselessness) in 2015. You can read more about the decision making process here, but this year's top vote getters are-

bae (before anyone else), polar vortex, hack, skill set, swag, foodie, curate/curated, friend-raising, enhanced interrogation, cra-cra (as in crazy), takeaway, and - nation (a suffering sports suffix).

Which of these words/phrases would you most like to see banished from everyday speech and why? Is there a word not on the list you would like to add?

A- Polar Vortex (The winter of 2014 was horrible, yet I didn't hear about polar vortex til more recent. With that in mind, I think in our area, it is over-used. Because so far we have had lots of rain with much milder temps than 2014)

Hack (I am so tired of hearing where someone has hacked into a computer. We don't use online banking, for that reason. Our bank uses computers, of course, and tells us they are safe. Makes a person wonder with all the hacking issues going on.)

I think Terrorism should be added. (It seems like they are calling lots of criminal action `terrorism`.)

(5) January is National Hot Tea month. Are you a fan? Do you like flavored teas? How do you take your tea? Have a favorite cup or teapot? How many cups of tea do you consume in a given day?

A- Yes, I am a fan. I love flavored tea(s). Most recently my favorite is Chia Tea w/ milk. I do have a favorite cup. It is a clear, glass cup with different words of Christmas written on, and around it. It varies daily as to how many cups I drink. If it is an especially cold day I will drink more. However, presently, hubby and I are on the Daniel Fast which means no hot tea.

(6) Whatever happened to the McDonald's notorious glasses sold in the 70's?

(7) What is one book on your must-read list this winter?

A- Like A Flower In Bloom (Siri Mitchell)

(8) Insert your own random thought here:


Comments

Linda Kay said…
Michelle, I love tea as well, especially flavored teas...so relaxing. Thanks for the video. As for "terrorism"...the news media likes to keep up the fear and speculation.
Michelle F said…
Linda Kay,

I'm glad you liked the video.
Yes, tea is so relaxing.

I agree, the media does like to keep us in fear and speculation. We do not have t.v. reception, which means no news, thankful. However, we can't escape the word terrorism, as it seems to have become people's vocabulary.
Sandee said…
I learn so much about you each Wednesday. I like that.

Have a fabulous day. ☺
Joyce said…
I love the Chris Tomlin song. Thanks for sharing! I'm working my way through yesterday's links and this was a nice way to begin the day.
Michelle F said…
Thanks for coming by, Joyce!
Great to see you!
Melissa Bishop said…
I hated it when the word, 'embedded' was used repeatedly to refer to reporters encamped with the troops. Now, our weather people keep using, 'monsoon' to describe any type of heavy rainfall when really it is a regional phenomenon that does not happen in the Americas.
Michelle F said…
Melissa,

You are so right. Makes a person wonder where these people went to school.
Theresa said…
Thanks for your comment :) It is nice to "meet" you at the Hodgepodge. You have me curious about The Daniel Plan so now I'm going to have to Google it.
I don't think anyone gives away free glasses anymore but it used to be so fun to get them everywhere- the gas station, fast food restaurants, etc.
Michelle F said…
Hi, Teresa!

We are doing the 21 day Daniel Fast, but it looks like we are going to change our way of eating and continue with the Daniel Plan. We like most of the meals, so far. However, we have discovered we don't like artichoke hearts.

It has been a cold and rainy winter, and now I am fighting a cold. So, my first cup of tea (I use that loosely) was Theraflu. How fun :)
I think I say No Way in place of Oh My. When I do have tea I like a little milk in it too and Chai Tea is yummy.

Popular posts from this blog

Q & A with author MaryLu Tyndall

Q & A with author Julianne MacLean

Q & A with author Debbie Lynne Costello