Hodgepodge Wednesday - Work Week


Hodgepodge Wednesday brought to you by Joyce at From This Side of the Pond.

(1) As August draws to a close, share what's been your favorite weekend of the entire summer.
Well, the last weekend of August is actually my favorite. We always go to Celebrate Freedom and listen to Christian bands from 9:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m. It's a free concert with top notch artists. There is a 5K run before the concert and fireworks afterward.

(2) Labor Day is marked in the US of A on Monday, September 1st. What paying job have you held that you've loved the most? Liked the least?
My most favorite job was working at fast food restaurants. Apparently I was liked by them too. Our wedding was catered `free` by the employee's at one of the restaurants I worked at. What a beautiful spread it was too.
My least favorite? Daycare centers. I could not get the kids to listen to me and we had bitters. However, I worked for a church nursery as a 2 year old teacher. I really liked this daycare. Another daycare, which I enjoyed, I was in charge of the after-school kids. I had them after school as well as all day in the summer.
I was the one who chose the outings, and we had a lot of fun.

(3) Does the new school year start before or after Labor Day where you live? When do you think it should begin? There is much discussion now about older students having later start times to their school day...your thoughts.
We begin before Labor Day. Some counties, around us, begin the end of July. I think starting school in August is ok. Makes for an early summer. But, starting in July, that's ridiculous if you ask me. These schools are not year round, which I despise, they just start early. I don't think any school should be year round. Unless your in college and you can choose on your own.
As it is, highschoolers get home between 4 - 6 which I think is already too late. If a student is having a hard time concentrating they should go to bed earlier and not have so many extra-curricular activities.

(4) What's something you've worked at recently that could be deemed a `labor of love`?
The last thing I remember is crocheting an afghan to give to our church nursery or an elderly person. I am beginning to get into that same mood. I feel like crocheting now that temps are beginning to cool down. Also, perhaps you could call my cooking a `labor of love`. I enjoy cooking from recipes and treating my family to something new every day.

(5) Which of the following work idioms can you most relate to right now...`A women's work is never done.`, `All work and no play make Jack a dull boy.`, `Many hands make light work.`
A women's work is never done. I have a list of daily chores I do, plus incidentals. We've had to move a bookcase from the kitchen, along with anything else in the way, while they decide what to do with our refrigerator.

(6) Crab or lobster or thanks, but no thanks? Favorite way to have your choice prepared?
Lobster, steamed or boiled with lots of melted butter. Actually I would eat both.

(7) Albert Einstein is quoted as saying, `Three rules of work: Out of clutter find simplicity; From discord find harmony; In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity.` Which of the three do you think is important? Share one of your own `rules of work`.
`Out of clutter find simplicity`. Not sure what this means, but I know where everything is in my clutter. Give me an uncluttered house and I can't find a thing. My own rule, which my mom passed down to me, `If you mess it up, clean it up`.

(8) Insert your own random thought here.
I am praising God for a new A/C unit, and coils! Last week was our hottest all summer and we didn't have any A/C. We had fans spread throughout the house. But it feels so much better now.

Comments

Linda Kay said…
This is a fun meme, so think I'll participate next week. It's fun to see your thoughts on the questions presented, as we get to know you better, Michelle! I'm with you on the women's work never being done.
Sandee said…
Sounds like you've had a good summer except for the week with no air conditioning. We had a new air conditioner installed this year too. What a difference that makes.

Have a terrific day. ☺
Michelle F said…
Hi Linda,

Thanks! I'll look forward to learning more about you.
Michelle F said…
Hi Sandee,

Yes, it makes a big difference. I'm thinking we may save money by using the updated unit. The old one was here before we moved in 14 years ago.
Your labor of love is a beautiful ministry. Hooray for the new AC!
Michelle F said…
Hi Debby,

Thank You!
Buife D. Nomeh said…
Nice. If I had to answer question (6), it will definitely be thanks, but no thanks. Haha.

Great responses.
Joyce said…
We've had a a pretty mild summer temperature wise, but this week it has cranked up and is humid. My car a.c. is not working (again) and I thought I was melting today. It felt so good to come into the house. I know I managed just fine without ac for many years, but now I wonder how? : ) Enjoy your day!
Michelle F said…
Hi Joyce,

Hubby and I were talking about when we lived in Fl we didn't have A/C. Now that we're farther north we can't live without it. Or is it because we are older?

Thanks for stopping by.
Elizabeth said…
Yes...school started before Labor Day in my home district and most other districts.

The district that I retired from is starting after Labor Day for the first time in the 34 years that I taught. :)

I like Albert Einstein's comments.

My labor of love was helping my son this past week and being there to make him dinners and to leave him dinners for when I leave. :)

Crab for me.

My own random thought is that I am thankful that I could retire and enjoy some time with family while I am still young.

Thanks for a great meme and for stopping by my blog earlier.

Fun Post.

Popular posts from this blog

Q & A with author MaryLu Tyndall

Q & A with author Julianne MacLean

Q & A with author Debbie Lynne Costello