Love Mercy (by) Lisa & Ty Samson


Love Mercy – Bios

Meet the authors of Love Mercy, Lisa and Ty Samson.
Lisa and Ty Samson
Lisa Samson is the author of over twenty-five books, including the Christy award-winning novel Songbird. Her novel, Quaker Summer was Christianity Today’s novel of 2008. She is coauthor with her husband, Will, of Justice in the Burbs.
Ty Samson loves art, literature, playing upright bass, and baking bread. She enjoys working with children and serving at the East Seventh Street Center in downtown Lexington, Kentucky.
Learn more about Lisa and Ty at http://lisasamson.typepad.com/.

My Review:

           With this book Lisa Samson steps out of her realm of fiction into non-fiction. Lisa tells how her family is much like most families in the western world, who are 80% richer than third-world countries.
            Lisa, and her daughter Ty, take the reader vicariously on a trip to Swaziland where AIDS is rampant. Death of parents and children is common place.
            I did not agree with every solution that was suggested, but I commend the authors for being open and honest. I believe Lisa uses her writing talents to educate the reader about the blessings that we take for granted, and what many third-world citizens have to endure daily. In many ways the readers faith is challenged. I believe many readers will discover a love and heartache for the third-world people they might not of had before.

You may buy `Love Mercy` through Amazon.com

You are welcome to follow Lisa Samson on facebook and twitter.

Be sure to visit other participating bloggers, click here.

*Zondervan provided me a free copy of this book.

Comments

mary bailey said…
Thanks for visiting my blog. I enjoyed reading your review, too. It's nice to read different perspectives. Have a blessed day!
Thanks for your comment! I am glad I am not alone in my thinking. I need to go back and add the list of bloggers. The link did not work for me originally. :)

Love the look of your blog too!
Renee said…
Thanks for stopping by my blog. While the writing was not like her fiction; the story (esp being true) was what captivated me
ty said…
Hello, everyone! Ty here!

I'm curious, Michelle, as to what "solutions" you do not agree with. We purposefully didn't try to bog down the reader with too many solutions, so I am definitely curious!

Also, as for the "three" that you've given us on many other blogs, is this a three out of five? A three out of ten? I'm just trying to gauge where we stand!

Thanks, everyone for reading our book! It definitely has been an adventure.
Michelle said…
Hi Ty,
Thank you so much for taking the time for reading my review.
I decided to give you a three out of five, in my most humble opinion.
I believe that sometimes God allows us to get to the depths of despair without human intervention, so we will look to Him and not other humans for comfort and restoration. I believe this to be true especially in America where we have so much available, yet we are leaving God out.
Wyatt Roberts said…
For goodness sake, the blurb on the book is longer than your review.
With all due respect, your comments contain very little helpful information for someone who might be considering whether to read or buy the book.
Michelle, thank you for beginning an interesting conversation. While I don't agree with your review of the book at all (I found it quite moving and convicting), I mostly want to add another layer to your comments about allowing people to reach the depths of despair without human intervention. I'd be interested to hear more about how you formed that opinion.

In my readings of Scripture, I see an Old Testament full of edicts designed to help those who cannot help themselves (provisions for widows and orphans, for example) and a New Testament full of concern for the "least of these" and their physical needs as well as their souls. There certainly ARE individual situations in which God stepped in and dealt with someone directly (Jonah and Job pop to mind), but it seems to me that those instances stick out so much precisely because they are exceptions to the general rule of "lov[ing] your neighbor as yourself."

In America, it is so very easy for us to turn a blind eye to the hurting and needy. I've found in my own times of darkness that I was brought closest to God when I could actually see Him in the helping hands of others. When I was left to deal with tragic and desperate situations alone, though, it was difficult to see, hear, or feel God through the desperation. I truly believe that the first thing God pronounced as "not good" in His creation (i.e. that man should not be alone) still applies.

I do understand the point that we should look to God as the ultimate source; however, it seems to me that the actual design was for us to be able to picture that source with human hands, a human face, and a human heart. After all, that's how our Savior came to us.

I hope you and others continue this interesting discussion!
Michelle said…
I would like to thank everyone for your thoughtful comments.

I can only write from what I've experienced. As an American I ran from God for many years, looking to man to supply my want/needs. It wasn't until I found myself in a pit I dug, having no where to look but to God that I actually acknowledged Him as my Lord and Savior. My Dad was the same way. He had all his materialistic needs met, which he thought he owed all to himself. He did not come to Christ til he had lost everything he had, with no one to help him.

I realize not all Americans are this way. But, I feel too many of us find comfort in people and things without looking to God as our source.

Popular posts from this blog

Interview Questions for Lauren Carr’s Candidate for Murder.

Q & A with author MaryLu Tyndall

The Aetherlight™